July 18, 2017
BY David Prybil | August 21, 2011 | People
Photograph by Bob Tabor
Skatemoderne bar cabinet
Ditch Plains beach in Montauk
Writer-producer David Prybil sits down with Skatemoderne designer Michelle Bergeron to quiz her on the best of the East End.
Even though Michelle and I work in vastly different creative disciplines, we share an admiration for one another’s artistic style. So whether it’s at the New York City reading of my debut novel, Golden State, that we meet or at Hollywood’s STK restaurant, where Michelle is a design consultant, our friendship is sealed by a sense of kismet and a love of good times. Now, from the airy expanses of her dreamy beach oasis in Amagansett, I am speaking to Michelle about her favorites, and I have no doubt that they will soon be among mine as well.
1. Bob Tabor’s beautiful large-scale equestrian photographs, which are available at Mecox Gardens. 66 Newtown Lane, East Hampton, 329-9405
2. My favorite way to de-stress is saddling my horse in my backyard and riding through the Peconic Land Trust woods in Amagansett.
3. Weekly trips with my kids to Hampton Chutney Co. for dosas. Main St., Amagansett Square, Amagansett, 267-3131
4. The purple, blue or hot pink camouflage saddle pads at The Tack Trunk in Amagansett. 137 Main St., 267-2013
5. Dozens of coconut cupcakes from Mary’s Marvelous in Amagansett—they’re addictive! 207 Main St., 267-8796
6. For summer entertaining I love my Sakura bar cabinet made from couture faux shagreen from my furniture collection, Skatemoderne, which is now available at Mecox Gardens.
7. Golden State by David Prybil, a darkly humorous, clever summer read.
8. My husband and I love longboarding at Ditch Plains in Montauk and grabbing smoothies from Joni’s afterward. 34 S. Edison St., 668-3663
9. The Pret-a-Surf bikinis at Beach Stop by Henry Lehr. They have vintage patterns with an amazing modern fit. 154 Main St., Amagansett Square, 267-5544
10. For my sunset cocktail parties, I love the dumplings from Round Swamp Farm on Three Mile Harbor Road. I cannot believe I just gave up that secret. Everyone I know thinks I make those dumplings. 184 Three Mile Harbor Road, East Hampton, 324-4438
July 18, 2017