Jennifer Salzer's 10 Hamptons Favorites
|Jennifer Salzer with sons Beau, Jesse and Mason|
Jennifer Salzer—Park Avenue orthodondist, North Haven resident and mother of four—takes to the Hamptons' wilder side.
1. My husband and I love taking the kids crabbing during low tide at Mecox Bay. They fill up buckets with all of the crabs they catch, and then I make them put them all back.
2. We live on Noyac Road, so we take the boat from Fish Cove over to Sag Harbor for ice cream at Big Olaf’s (Long Wharf, Sag Harbor, 725-7505).
3. We love getting all the friends and family together for a late summer clambake at W. Scott Cameron Beach. I love that beach because the bay meets the ocean, and it is absolutely gorgeous at sunset.
4. Every Sunday, the whole clan, including my parents, go for an early breakfast at Hampton Coffee Company (869 Montauk Hwy., Water Mill, 726-2633). I love to sit on the hammock with the kids and then leave with an Eileen’s cheesecake for later.
6. It is always a treat to go to Sylvester & Co. in Sag Harbor (103 Main St., 725-5012) for its dreamy coffee and carmelita cookies.
7. My favorite store is Homenature in Southampton (6 Main St., 287-6277). When we moved into our house, I bought the sofa, table and plant from the store display. I wish I could have taken the whole store home.
8. Elizabeth A. Morton National Wildlife Refuge (784 Noyac Road, Sag Harbor, 286-0485) is great to visit. The kids love feeding the birds by hand.
9. My friend Gail Tobias takes beautiful photographs (iandjstudios.com); she specializes in sunsets and other Hamptons natural beauty.
10. Our family has a sporting tradition that we named the Salzer Cup. It is an adventure race around North Sea Harbor and Conscience Point. My husband, sister, brother and father bike to the end of North Sea Road at the Peconic Bay, then trail-run up a bluff and through the woods, then swim across the North Sea Harbor Channel and finish with a run from Towd Point back to our home. I just watch, but it is so much fun.